Gay Baby Jail (GBJ for short) is SimpleFlips' term for a softlock. Generally, this term refers to a set of circumstances that make progression through a game impossible. Not all GBJ's are created equal and some are harder to escape from than others as there have been instances in which SimpleFlips has been able able to get out of GBJ's, usually by God-BLJing.
In the lore, it has the connotation of being a physical location that traps the player character inescapably. However, GBJ has also been treated as a spiritual state that resurfaces throughout one's life.
Jet Eriksen (better known as Piplup Guy) records the GBJs SimpleFlips encounters in each video.
The origins of GBJ can be found in the video "Super Mario XD" in which simpleflips gets stuck in a cage which a viewer called "Gay Baby Jail."
A GBJ meets the following conditions. Specific rules may change depending on the game.
- Being there prevents progress toward any main objective, such as Power Stars in Super Mario 64.
- It provides no way to lose a life—excluding abstract features such as level timers.
- The player character cannot escape it using in-level tools.
- The player character might be unable to move due to the cause being a Reverse Polygon.
- Depending on the strictness of the definition, the player might not be able to escape it by exiting the level from a menu.